Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sympathy Cards



I find that Sympathy cards are so difficult to make - and they are not a card I can make ahead of time.  I do try to make them somewhat personal.  I struggled for several days making this card and I don't know if I am totally happy with it yet. 

I love the background.  I stamped the Hero Arts background stamp in VersaMark and then clear embossed it.  I then rubbed distress inks over it - Blues and greens - to try and give it a tealish color.  I matted it with a dark navy metallic paper.  The sentiment - another Hero Arts Stamp - was stamped on a scrap of the patterned paper I stamped the background on.  It was matted with the navy blue also.  I had this Bazzill bling paper that picked up the blue/green undertones.  The background and sentiment are both pop dotted. 

The flower is made from coffee filters which I cut out with spellbinders - there are four layers of four different sizes that make up the flower.  I colored the coffee filters with distress inks and Perfect Pearl Mists.  I bunched them all up - put a rubber band around them and let them dry for 24 hours.  The ribbon is from my friend Ivanka.

Moxie Fab World has a challenge to use household items on a card - well coffee filters are a household item.  The actually make great flowers and take color from many different mediums.  I will also place it in the Hero Arts monthly challenge for flowers.

Now I need to finish the inside of the card.  I think I then need to just make a card that is not so difficult to design.  Do you struggle making sympathy cards?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful creation the bloom is very pretty.

Conniecrafter said...

so pretty, I just love the colors you acheived in the flower

Ivanka said...

Gorgeous Barb!! That flower is just stunning!!! The close up is beautiful!

Janelle Stollfus said...

Gorgeous coffee filter flower and the whole card is amazing!

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Barb! Thanks for linking this up to the Household Items Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)